Law 215/2001 (republished, updated), regarding the local public administration
(1) The mayor fulfills the following main categories of attributions:
a) attributions exercised as a representative of the state, in accordance with the law;
b) attributions regarding the relationship with the local council;
c) attributions regarding the local budget;
d) attributions regarding the public services provided to the citizens;
e) other attributions established by law.
(2) Pursuant to par. (1) lit. a), the mayor fulfills the function of civil status officer and tutelary authority and ensures the functioning of the local public services, attributions regarding the organization and conduct of elections, referendum and census. The mayor fulfills other attributions established by law.
(3) In the exercise of the attributions provided in par. (1) lit. b), the mayor:
a) presents to the local council, in the first quarter, an annual report on the economic, social and environmental state of the administrative-territorial unit;
b) presents, at the request of the local council, other reports and information;
c) elaborates the draft strategies regarding the economic, social and environmental state of the administrative-territorial unit and submits them to the approval of the local council.
(4) In the exercise of the attributions provided in par. (1) lit. c), the mayor:
a) exercises the function of main authorizing officer;
b) draws up the draft local budget and the closing account of the budget year and submits them for approval to the local council;
c) initiates, in accordance with the law, negotiations for contracting loans and issuing securities on behalf of the administrative-territorial unit;
d) verifies, through the specialized compartments, the correct fiscal registration of the taxpayers at the territorial fiscal body, both of the main registered office and of the secondary office.
(5) In the exercise of the attributions provided in par. (1) lit. d), the mayor:
a) coordinates the accomplishment of the public services of local interest provided through the specialized apparatus or through the bodies providing public services and public utility of local interest;
b) take measures for the prevention and, as the case may be, the management of emergency situations;
c) takes measures for the organization of the execution and the concrete execution of the activities in the fields provided in art. 36 para. (6) lit. a) -d);
d) takes measures to ensure the inventory, statistical evidence, inspection and control of the performance of public services of local interest provided in art. 36 para. (6) lit. a) -d), as well as the goods from the public and private patrimony of the administrative-territorial unit;
e) appoints, sanctions and orders the suspension, modification and termination of employment relationships or, as the case may be, of employment relationships, in accordance with the law, for the staff of the specialized apparatus, as well as for the heads of public institutions and services of local interest; ) ensures the elaboration of the urban plans provided by law, submits them to the approval of the local council and acts for the observance of their provisions;
g) issues the approvals, agreements and authorizations given in its competence by law and other normative acts;
h) ensures the accomplishment of the works and takes the necessary measures to comply with the provisions of the commitments assumed in the process of European integration in the field of environmental protection and water management for the services provided to the citizens.
(6) For the proper exercise of his attributions, the mayor collaborates with the deconcentrated public services of the ministries and other specialized bodies of the central public administration from the administrative-territorial units, as well as with the county council.
(7) The appointment of the heads of public institutions and services of local interest is made on the basis of the competition organized according to the procedures and criteria approved by the local council, at the proposal of the mayor, in accordance with the law. The appointment is made by order of the mayor, having attached the management contract.