The documents of the time mention the existence of a fortification, on the current location of the castle, with the 14th century, the royal camp having an ellipsoidal shape and in the north wing.
a refuge tower, barred on the south side with a stone wall. This possession of the Anjou family, became the property of the Corvin family at the beginning of the 15th century, more precisely
in 1409, during the time of Prince Voicu, in the form of a donation that included the fortress and the domain of Hunedoara.
Voicu’s son, Ioan de Hunedoara, amplified the existing construction in the 14th century, following two stages of construction, resulting in a new enclosure, provided with 7 defense towers.
In the 15th century, the castle remains a singular example in the Transylvanian area of a fortified noble residence, a construction that combines elements specific to the late Gothic style with
renaissance style, early phase. The Corvin family ruled the castle and the estate of Hunedoara until 1508, followed by 22 owners, until the 18th century, when
it became the property of the Habsburg Empire and the castle became the seat of the mine administration and a warehouse for iron products.
Its transformation into a museum in 1974 is preceded by another stage of restoration and consolidation (1965-1968), these works continuing after 1997 and until today.